Physical activity is a general term which describes any movement the body makes which requires energy. There are many different types of physical activity including sport, walking, dancing, gardening and even housework.
Physical activity is one of the most important things you can do for your health.
Taking part in regular physical activity can help:
- control your weight
- reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease
- reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome
- reduce your risk of some cancers
- strengthen your bones and muscles
- improve your mental health and mood
- improve your ability to do daily activities and prevent falls, if you’re an older adult
- increase your chances of living longer.
We’re committed to taking positive steps to address and encourage people to be open about mental health issues through our work. We’ve signed up to The Mental Health Charter for Sport and Recreation, which sets out how sport can use its collective power to tackle mental ill health and the stigma that surrounds it.