Physical activity is a general term which describes any movement the body makes which requires energy. There are many different types of physical activity including sport, walking, dancing, gardening and even housework.
Physical activity is one of the most important things you can do for your health.
Taking part in regular physical activity can help:
- control your weight
- reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease
- reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome
- reduce your risk of some cancers
- strengthen your bones and muscles
- improve your mental health and mood
- improve your ability to do daily activities and prevent falls, if you’re an older adult
- increase your chances of living longer.
Small changes can add up to a huge difference to your health. One You Kent has lots of tips and support on offer to help you take the first steps towards a healthier lifestyle. It’s never too late to start, there is only one YOU.
We’re committed to taking positive steps to address and encourage people to be open about mental health issues through our work. We’ve signed up to The Mental Health Charter for Sport and Recreation, which sets out how sport can use its collective power to tackle mental ill health and the stigma that surrounds it.